Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SAINT PATRICK AND SOUR CREAM

Herein, a jumble of different things that, had I the time (I works for free and I earns my money!), I would flesh out into different diary entries. Or not.

--Here in the far, far east of Ireland, the High Holy Day will be celebrated in fine (foin) fashion with a BYO party at someone's house or other Saturday night. Fortunately, and obviously in anticipation of just such an event, I brought plenty of green clothes.

--The restaurants here all have really good and often exotic soups, which I want to eat to excess, except that they insist on dropping a dollop of sour cream into each bowlful. Now, I hate sour cream, call me picky, but I have no clue how to ask them not to put sour cream in the soup, in either Tajik or Russian. Although I know the Russian word for sour cream: smetana. Yes, just like the composer. I wonder if he put sour cream in his soup...

--And this Saturday, the entire known world will celebrate (in between swigs of green beer) the glorious wedding of JAMES EMMETT MOYLAN and LESLIE ERIN GALLAGHER in the Dushanbe suburb of Washington, DC. Drinks aloft, we bid ye slainte!

--A few photos of a Saturday morning (still early) in Central Park, Dushanbe:












"Discoclub
Billiard-Club
Karaoke-Bar"








Keep on truckin'!










A bit of a baptism, after our regular Saturday expat run/walk.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

You want the soup "byez smetanii." Though I have no idea why someone would want their soup byez smetanii. That's just weird ;)

John Musarra said...

I know. I often feel like I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't like sour cream. But, hey, there are even some people who don't like beer! :)

Unknown said...

I hate sour cream! Add that to the list of things we have in common: politics, beer, Makers Mark, and baseball, which I guess we can count even though you have bad taste in teams!

RAM said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! From Eileen, Mary and Rebecca. We're on our way to Jamie's rehearsal dinner and we'll be sure to have a few drinks for you, Dad. Miss you tons! Can't wait to skype and tell you about Nepal. Oh, and your wife is brillant.

And I hate sour cream too.

Rebecca, Mary and Eileen

Wrecker said...

Through the power of the blog, please feel free to participated in Leslie and Jamey's wedding at the following address:

http://rickmartinphotography.blogspot.com/

Feel free to comment on the powerful ending of the Bride's dance with the Father-In-Law.

Whenever a dish called for sour cream, we were sure to conceal the fact from Eileen's Uncle Bob.

Bob M

John Musarra said...

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful couple!! But who's the old fart dancing with the bride?????

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr Musarra.....I am Patsy...I work at the Courthouse for Eileen....I have been enjoying your blog.....very interesting....we hear updates from time to time from Eileen....we were wondering today if camels are common where you are?.....Keep on blogging....
Patsy

John Musarra said...

I've been told there are camels here, but I haven't seen one yet. They're most likely used by the Uzbeks and Mongols in the northeast of the country. Around here, they use horses and mules. It isn't at all unusual to see horses and riders in the middle of the city of Dushanbe, and outside the city, mules are everywhere.

I really, really do want to ride a camel, though! If I get a chance, I'll make sure to get a picture (before the camel tosses me off!)

Anonymous said...

Hi ...Patsy here.....I hear those camels are notorious spitters so keep your distance from the front!!!
Sounds like you are having a great time...when you are not working.....pictures are gorgeous......
Patsy

Anonymous said...

Great Article! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.

Anonymous said...

nice blog!Nice information

Anonymous said...

:-) ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

soglasen s vami ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. It very impressive. Enjoyed the visit!

Anonymous said...

uLLLAT Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

zZFWth Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

QxjXdJ Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!